
Mar 31 08:46 AM US/Eastern
TOKYO, March 31 (AP) - (Kyodo) — U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates urged Japan to integrate its view and win local consent on the issue of where to relocate a U.S. Marine base in Okinawa during his talks with Japanese Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada on Monday in Washington, diplomatic sources said Wednesday.
Japan's coalition government is exploring an alternative to the current plan agreed on with Washington in 2006 to move the U.S. Marine Corps' Futemma Air Station within Okinawa and suggested its ideas to the U.S. side last week, but without winning consent from affected areas or coalition members.
After Monday's talks, a Japanese official only said Gates told Okada that the U.S. Marines in Okinawa Prefecture are key to the bilateral alliance and that Washington is hoping for an early resolution to the Futemma issue, but the U.S. defense secretary in fact went further than just expressing hope, according to the sources.
Gates' request apparently reflect U.S. concerns about negotiating the matter in vain with Tokyo unless it wins over the ruling Democratic Party of Japan's two coalition partners as well as people of Okinawa and other affected areas dominated by opposition to accepting the U.S. base transfer.
In a related development Wednesday, representatives of the two coalition partners -- the Social Democratic Party and the People's New Party -- lodged opposition to one of the candidate relocation sites which sources said Okada conveyed to U.S. Ambassador to Japan John Roos last week.
In Monday's meeting, Gates sought assurances that Tokyo will not budge on the matter by asking Okada if views within the coalition government have been unified and local consent can be obtained, the sources said.
In response, Okada reiterated that Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama is determined to resolve the issue by May, but only said the question of local consent "is a matter to be addressed from now on," they said.
In Washington on Tuesday, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell also said in a press conference that any plan on the transfer of the Futemma Air Station "needs to be viable politically, both at a local level and at a national level."
Morrell said the ideas Okada reportedly conveyed to Roos "fall short of a proposal."
Okada conveyed a proposal involving such candidate locations as the inland part of the Marines' Camp Schwab, an area off the coast of the U.S. Navy's White Beach facility in Uruma, both in Okinawa, and Tokunoshima Island in Kagoshima Prefecture, to accommodate heliport functions of the Futemma base, according to the sources.
But "those ideas were not shared with Secretary Gates during his conversation with the foreign minister yesterday," Morrell said. "The foreign minister talked about how they had been provided to our ambassador in Japan. But they were not a focus of the conversation."
Okada separately told reporters in Gatineau, Quebec, where he attended a Group of Eight foreign ministers' meeting that he thinks negotiations with Washington would be a "very difficult process."
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said at a press conference in Gatineau that Washington still thinks the existing U.S.-Japan accord on Futemma's relocation is "preferable" but is "ready to consider" possible alternative proposals from Japan.
Under the 2006 agreement, the Futemma facility is to be moved from a crowded residential area of Ginowan to Camp Schwab in Nago, also in Okinawa, by reclaiming land in the camp's coastal area.
Since taking office last September, Hatoyama's government began reviewing the plan in the hope of moving the Futemma out of Okinawa or even abroad and pledged to settle the issue by the end of May.
Hatoyama said in parliament Wednesday he has his "own plan in mind" for where to transfer the U.S. airstrip and that he is "confident" it will be "effective" in removing the danger, maintaining U.S. deterrence and easing the base-hosting burden on local people.
The premier told reporters afterward that the idea he had referred to in a Diet debate has already been shared with other Cabinet ministers concerned and the government is now in the process of negotiating with the United States.
Earlier Wednesday, the two DPJ coalition partners, whose heads are Cabinet members, asked Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano that Tokyo's prospective proposal won't include a plan to move the Futemma to an area to be reclaimed off the White Beach area.
They did so on the grounds such a plan would not ease base-hosting burdens on locals and would damage the marine environment.
There are strong local calls for moving the Futemma base off the southernmost prefecture, which hosts the bulk of U.S. military facilities in the country.