Outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Monday that health problems were the main reason for his resignation."After my health became progressively worse over the past month, I concluded that I had reached my physical limits," Abe said at a press conference at a Tokyo hospital where he is receiving treatment.
Abe apologized for failing to mention his health problems when he announced at a Sept. 12 press conference that he would step down as prime minister.
"When I announced my intention to resign, I didn't mention my health problems because I thought it inappropriate. I'm sorry for failing to convey to the nation my true motive for resigning," Abe said. "I should've explained my condition at the time."
He also apologized for the bad timing of his announcing his decision to quit.
"I made the announcement at a crucial period at the beginning of the Diet session. The timing was the worst in that I made the announcement immediately after delivering a policy speech to the Diet," he said. "I apologize for throwing the political world into confusion and causing great trouble to Cabinet ministers, politicians from both the ruling and opposition blocs and to the public."
Photo: Prime Minister Shinzo Abe talks at a news conference at a Tokyo hospital on Monday.Abe categorically denied some tabloid papers and weekly magazines' reports that ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) Secretary-General Taro Aso staged a coup to topple him.
"It's absolutely not true. I'm grateful to Secretary-General Aso and Chief Cabinet Secretary (Kaoru) Yosano for getting the chaotic situation under control," the outgoing prime minister said.
Abe vowed to stay on as a legislator. "My goal is to regain my health as soon as possible. As a legislator, I'll do my best under the leadership of the new president of the LDP."
Abe is set to step down on Tuesday after the Diet names newly elected LDP leader Yasuo Fukuda as prime minister. LDP presidency carries the post of prime minister as the LDP-led ruling coalition has a majority in the powerful House of Representatives.
(Mainichi) September 24, 2007