Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hatoyama: Futenma plan not yet finalized

    April 27, 2010
    Click for Video

    Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama says his government is still making efforts to finalize a relocation plan for the US Marines' Futenma Air Station.

    Hatoyama spoke to reporters on Tuesday, ahead of a visit to Tokyo by US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell.

    On Monday, Campbell said in a lecture in Hong Kong that some of the recent dialogue between the US and Japan and some of the proposals look encouraging.

    Hatoyama denied that the 2 countries had already started working level talks on a relocation plan. He said his government continues to work seriously on it, in the hope of putting on the final touches soon.

    Hatoyama said the final plan should meet the 2 conditions of reducing the military burden on Okinawa as much as possible and removing the danger posed by the Futenma Air Station as soon as possible.

    The base is located in the middle of a densely-populated area of Okinawa.

    2010/04/27 11:43(JST)
    (JST: UTC+9hrs.)