Wednesday, April 14, 2010

10 Chinese vessels seen near Okinawa



    The Yomiuri Shimbun


    A fleet of 10 Chinese vessels, including two submarines, sailed southward in international waters between Okinawa Island and Miyakojima island on Saturday, Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said at a press conference Tuesday.

    The two submarines were seen cruising on the ocean surface, Kitazawa said.

    It was the first time such a large fleet of Chinese warships, accompanied by submarines, had been spotted conducting maritime activities in that area.

    The Maritime Self-Defense Force is continuing to monitor the fleet, as it is likely heading for a drill in the Pacific Ocean.

    "It's on the high seas, but we've never seen anything like this before," Kitazawa said. "We'll closely research and analyze various aspects of the situation, including whether [the Chinese move] was directed at this country, and consider how to deal with it."

    A senior Foreign Ministry official revealed Tuesday that the ministry had made an inquiry to the Chinese government about the fleet through diplomatic channels.

    According to the Self-Defense Forces' Joint Staff Office, the fleet conducted an exercise in the East China Sea around April 7. Then, as MSDF destroyers kept watch, the fleet was cruising in the high seas about 140 kilometers west-southwest of the main island of Okinawa at around 8 p.m. Saturday.

    The 10 vessels included two Kilo-class submarines, two missile destroyers, and three frigates. The fleet was traveling southward toward Okinotorishima island in the Pacific as of Tuesday.

    According to the Joint Staff Office, the Chinese Navy has been stepping up activities in waters between Okinawa Island and Miyakojima island in recent years. On March 18, six surface vessels, including a missile destroyer, were spotted.

    (Apr. 14, 2010)