Wednesday, April 21, 2010

S. Korean foreign minister says Seoul has means to deal with N. Korea

    Apr 20 11:44 PM US/Eastern

    SEOUL, April 21 (AP) - (Kyodo) — South Korea has military capabilities to counter attacks by North Korea, South Korean Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Yu Myung Hwan said Wednesday.

    "I cannot publicly discuss such advanced tactics or related capabilities. I will only say we do have our own means to counter North Korea at an adequate level," Yu was quoted by Yonhap News Agency as saying at a breakfast meeting with officials at a private think tank.

    Yu's remarks were made amid growing suspicion North Korea is behind the sinking of a South Korean naval patrol ship near the western inter-Korean sea border on March 26, which left 38 sailors confirmed dead and eight others missing. Out of 104 aboard the ship, 58 were rescued.

    A military and civilian joint team of investigators said last week their preliminary inspection of the rear segment of the ship showed "an external blast" might have caused the sinking.

    "I believe it will be best (for the people) to trust the government and calmly wait until the exact cause is revealed," Yu reportedly said.

    In a statement last week, North Korea denied its involvement in the sinking of the South Korean ship.